There was an incident in a lab yesterday where a bottle of media with a
rubber insert in the bottle top was microwaved. The rubber insert went on
fire producing a great deal of smoke.
Someone got off lightly. Usually when I hear of someone microwaving a stoppered vessel of water and agar powder the story ends with the bottle exploding and blowing the micrwave oven's door across the room.
I'm told more scientists die ever year in work incidents than firefighters. Part of that's that there are more scientists, but still.